St. Joe goes ‘Out of This World’ for homecoming week

St. Joe has homecoming this week with a variety of activities lined up. From pep rallies to dances, read about this exciting time at St. Joe.

Clay Blanchard

From left to right: Mary Hazel Bellan, Clare Cole, Hannah Dear, Mina Leffler, Katie Corken, Harper Evers, and Dallas Hill.

This week is Homecoming Week at St. Joe, and students are having a great time in the festivities.

Throughout the week of Sept. 16-20, students are allowed to dress up according to each day’s theme. The overall theme of the week is “Out of This World,” to recognize the viral Area 51 Raid that is to happen.

Monday marked the first day of homecoming with the theme “Space Movies Day”. Students dressed up as their characters from various space movies.

Mackenzie Powell, a new student to St. Joe, has enjoyed the homecoming activities so far saying, “Being new to the school has been a little stressful, so getting to dress up with my new friends is exciting.”

Later that day, a pep rally was held by the freshmen, sophomore, and junior student council members in the St. Joe Gym.

Tuesday is “Cowboys vs. Aliens,” giving students the option to dress as either of the two, and will also have a pep rally hosted by the senior student council members.

“Area 51 Raid” is the theme on Wednesday with students dressing to prepare for the raid. While St. Joe will still have Mass on Thursday, students will have “T-Shirt/Galaxy Day.” Students will wear their St. Joe 2019-2020 homecoming shirts with various space themed accessories.

That afternoon, the St. Joe community will have its annual Presentation of the Court, where the each maid of the homecoming court will be introduced and escorted by a football player from their grade.

“It’s such an honor to be voted to court by people I care so much about,” says senior maid Hannah Dear. The event starts at 6 p.m. in the auditorium.

Afterwards, attendees will have a Bruin Tailgate. Families are to bring foods according to which grade their student is in. For example, families with students in grades seventh, ninth, and 11th bring dessert. eighth, 10th, and 12th grade will bring sides.

Finally, students will dress in the usual “Blue and Gold Day” to show their school spirit. A pep rally will be held on the Bill Raphael Field. Later, that night, the Bruin Football team will face West Lincoln, with kickoff at 7 p.m. Before the game, alumni will gather in St. Joe’s cafeteria to have a reception.

During halftime of the game, the homecoming court will be presented. Maids will be escorted by their fathers, uncles, and other male figures in their lives. Students will vote from the four senior maids. These votes will be counted to determine the new homecoming queen.

Saturday will wrap up homecoming week with an alumni Mass in the school chapel at 6 p.m. Later that night, is the annual homecoming dance from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. The dance will share the week’s theme of “Out of This World,” and is planned by the sophomore student council members. Tickets cost $10 and are available for purchase during lunch on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.