St. Joe’s Teacher of the Week: Ms. Danielle Powe

Submitted Photo

Ms. Danielle Powe was chosen to be St. Joe’s Teacher of the Week.

Kamina Griffin, Staff Writer

Every week The Bear Facts selects a St. Joe teacher to be featured. This week the staff selected Ms. Danielle Powe.

The Bear Facts: What is your favorite comfort food after a long hard day?

Ms. Danielle Powe: If it has been a really rough day, my comfort food is tacos.

The Bear Facts: What is your favorite fall movie to watch, and why?

Powe: My favorite fall movie is the entire Harry Potter series, even though I prefer the books to the movies.

The Bear Facts: What is your favorite sport to play? If it’s not one to play, then what sport do you like to watch the most?

Powe: I can’t pick my ONE favorite sport to play but my favorite sport to watch is football. WHO DAT!

The Bear Facts: Are you an only child? If not, how many siblings do you have and what are their names?

Powe: I’m not an only child. I’m the youngest of 4 girls. My older sisters are Kristen, Carrie, and Robin.

The Bear Facts: Would you call yourself a competitive person? Do you think you are more a competitive person now than when you were younger or vice versa?

Powe: I have always been a competitive person. Even now, I’m still just as competitive as I was growing up.

The Bear Facts: What is your favorite thing about being a new teacher at Saint Joseph right now?

Powe: I like the welcoming environment. I was nervous to come to a new school after spending two years at an elementary school. However, the faculty and students here have been amazing.

The Bear Facts: Did you ever think that you would be a high school teacher when you were younger? If you didn’t, then what did you think you were going to do when you got older?

Powe: I definitely did not think I would be a high school teacher. Haha! I always thought I would be a physical therapist. However, while I was in school at Mississippi College, I was working as a preschool assistant teacher. It was during my time there that I realized that being a teacher was what I wanted to do. So, I finished my Bachelor’s in Education Science and went back to school to get my teaching license through an alternate route program.

The Bear Facts: What do you see in your students that you feel like you saw in yourself when you were their age?

Powe: I see a hunger to want to know, to get better, or make a difference. Whether it’s my students in the classroom learning about the human body; or our effects on the environment; or my athletes who push themselves to be better than the player they were the day before. Each student I have has that same hunger I had as a student-athlete. That hunger is the want to be the best in the classroom and on the field.

The Bear Facts: How are you able to multitask being a Human AP Teacher, Botany/Environmental Science, Color Guard Instructor, and Softball Coach and the Girls’ Soccer Coach all at once?

Powe: When I was growing up, I played multiple sports while also taking honors and AP classes. I have always been someone who didn’t like a lot of “down time”. So in regard to all I am involved in at St. Joe, I plan ahead of time for all of my classes and base my workouts for softball on what my players need to work on. I have learned how to divide my time equally among each area of my work.

Ms. Danielle Powe teaches Human A&P and Botany/Environmental Science. She also serves as head softball coach, Girls’ soccer coach, and Color Guard instructor.