St. Joe’s Teacher of the Week: Ms. Danielle Powe

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ms. Danielle Powe was chosen to be St. Joe’s Teacher of the Week.

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Submitted Photo

Kamina Griffin, Staff Writer

Every week The Bear Facts selects a St. Joe teacher to be featured. This week the staff selected Ms. Danielle Powe.

The Bear Facts: What is your favorite comfort food after a long hard day?

Ms. Danielle Powe: If it has been a really rough day, my comfort food is tacos.

The Bear Facts: What is your favorite fall movie to watch, and why?

Powe: My favorite fall movie is the entire Harry Potter series, even though I prefer the books to the movies.

The Bear Facts: What is your favorite sport to play? If it’s not one to play, then what sport do you like to watch the most?

Powe: I can’t pick my ONE favorite sport to play but my favorite sport to watch is football. WHO DAT!

The Bear Facts: Are you an only child? If not, how many siblings do you have and what are their names?

Powe: I’m not an only child. I’m the youngest of 4 girls. My older sisters are Kristen, Carrie, and Robin.

The Bear Facts: Would you call yourself a competitive person? Do you think you are more a competitive person now than when you were younger or vice versa?

Powe: I have always been a competitive person. Even now, I’m still just as competitive as I was growing up.

The Bear Facts: What is your favorite thing about being a new teacher at Saint Joseph right now?

Powe: I like the welcoming environment. I was nervous to come to a new school after spending two years at an elementary school. However, the faculty and students here have been amazing.

The Bear Facts: Did you ever think that you would be a high school teacher when you were younger? If you didn’t, then what did you think you were going to do when you got older?

Powe: I definitely did not think I would be a high school teacher. Haha! I always thought I would be a physical therapist. However, while I was in school at Mississippi College, I was working as a preschool assistant teacher. It was during my time there that I realized that being a teacher was what I wanted to do. So, I finished my Bachelor’s in Education Science and went back to school to get my teaching license through an alternate route program.

The Bear Facts: What do you see in your students that you feel like you saw in yourself when you were their age?

Powe: I see a hunger to want to know, to get better, or make a difference. Whether it’s my students in the classroom learning about the human body; or our effects on the environment; or my athletes who push themselves to be better than the player they were the day before. Each student I have has that same hunger I had as a student-athlete. That hunger is the want to be the best in the classroom and on the field.

The Bear Facts: How are you able to multitask being a Human AP Teacher, Botany/Environmental Science, Color Guard Instructor, and Softball Coach and the Girls’ Soccer Coach all at once?

Powe: When I was growing up, I played multiple sports while also taking honors and AP classes. I have always been someone who didn’t like a lot of “down time”. So in regard to all I am involved in at St. Joe, I plan ahead of time for all of my classes and base my workouts for softball on what my players need to work on. I have learned how to divide my time equally among each area of my work.

Ms. Danielle Powe teaches Human A&P and Botany/Environmental Science. She also serves as head softball coach, Girls’ soccer coach, and Color Guard instructor.