BruinTHON has fundraiser at Corner Bakery

Back to Article
Back to Article

Leah Clark, Co-editor

Last Saturday, the BruinTHON committee had a fundraiser at Corner Bakery Cafe in Madison, MS.

The fundraiser was a profit share during the restaurant’s hours of 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. If customers said “BruinTHON” while ordering their meal, 15% of the cost went towards BruinTHON. All members of the St. Joe community were invited to participate.

BruinTHON is St. Joe’s annual dance marathon that benefits the Blair E. Batson Children’s Hospital in Jackson, MS. The dance marathon is school’s biggest fundraiser.

Students stay on their feet for eight hours in order to raise money for the hospital. The event is student-run and is set for the upcoming spring. Last year, students raised $13,025 for Blair E. Batson Children’s Hospital.

“The fundraisers throughout the year allow us to reach out to the students and community, as well as raise awareness for the hospital,” said senior Mary Grace Stewart, the committee’s student director.

The BruinTHON committee sponsors numerous fundraisers throughout the school year. Recently, the committee sponsored its annual Paper Chain Contest.

In the contest, each grade was challenged to make the longest paper chain. The lengths of the chains were based on how much money was donated. Through this fundraiser, students raised over $2,000.

“The paper chain contest was a huge success because of the participation of our students and the encouragement of teachers,” said BruinTHON committee faculty advisor Ms. Kathryn Sckiets.

“It’s exciting to know we have such a great start on fundraising at this point in the year.”