Halloween arrives on the St. Joe campus

Back to Article
Back to Article

Halloween arrives on the St. Joe campus

Mrs. Jenna Murphy passes out candy during St. Joe’s 3rd Annual Trunk-or-Treat.

Clay Blanchard

Clay Blanchard

Clay Blanchard

Leah Clark, Co-editor

This week, the St. Joe community has been celebrating Halloween with a variety of fall festivities.

The festivities kicked off on Tuesday in the Fine Arts Building parking lot, when St. Joe had its 3rd annual Trunk-or-Treat. Participants were greeted with food, music, and a variety of trunks. Each trunk was decorated by various organizations, teams, and clubs at St. Joe.

The event was sponsored by the student council. Kids of all ages were invited from St. Joe’s feeder schools to come enjoy the fall event on campus.

“While Trunk-or-Treat is still something new to the St. Joe community,” says Mary Grace Stewart, the senior class president about that evening, “It continues be a success every year.”

The fall celebrations will continue on Thursday, October 31 with Scary for Carrie. Students were given the opportunity to wear their Halloween costumes to school for $3. All proceeds go to St. Joe alumna Carrie Maniscalco.

“I love celebrating Halloween. Also, I love helping people, so being able to do both during Scary for Carrie is just a really cool experience,” says senior Michael Seale.

Maniscalco, who graduated in 2002, has been dealing with many undiagnosed illnesses for several years now. To help with her medical expenses, St. Joe students started Scary for Carrie. The fundraiser, which has been running for 12 years now, has become a huge success over the years.

“The support from the St. Joe community has been overwhelming and such a blessing to our family,” says Paula Maniscalco, Carrie’s mother.

St. Joe continues to help Maniscalco other ways as well. Every Mass the students and faculty prayer for her. This year, the fundraiser is expected to raise over $1,000 for the St. Joe alumna.