St. Joe to stage popular Christmas concert

'Gifts of the Season' set for Friday and Sunday performances

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students perform during Gifts of the Season in December 2018.

Special to The Bear Facts

MADISON – Christmas arrives early this weekend when St. Joseph Catholic School stages its popular, annual concert “Gifts of the Season” on Friday night and Sunday afternoon.

Pullquote Photo

This is one of the most popular events the Fine Arts Department stages, so you better arrive early to get a good seat.”

— Ronnie Russell

The Christmas concert showcases the talents of the school’s instrumental music, visual arts and choral students. Performances are 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6, and 2 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 8. Admission is $10 with St. Joe students admitted free.

“Our student musicians and singers have been rehearsing daily for the concert most of the fall semester,” said Ronnie Russell, chairman of the St. Joe Fine Arts Department – which is producing “Gifts of the Season.”

“This is one of the most popular events the Fine Arts Department stages, so you better arrive early to get a good seat,” Russell said. “‘Gifts of the Season’ is one of my favorite events at St. Joe. It really puts you in the Christmas spirit.”

St. Joseph Catholic School, founded in 1870 by the Sisters of Mercy, is celebrating 150 years of faith formation and excellence in education. The school offers seventh- through 12th-grade students a rigorous college prep curriculum grounded in the teachings of the Catholic Church.

St. Joe is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the accrediting arm of Cognia.

“Gifts of the Season” will feature student musicians in Grades 7-12 performing traditional and contemporary Christmas favorites.

Choral students under the direction of teacher Michael Hrivnak also will perform. Visual arts students will sell hand-crafted Christmas ornaments created under the guidance of art teacher Lou Ann Turner.

The Christmas concert is one of several events the St. Joe Fine Arts Department will produce during the 2019-2020 school year in the 504-seat, state-of-the-art Fine Arts auditorium.

Last month, students performed the fall play “Junie B. Jones is NOT a Crook.” Next semester, the department will perform the hit musical “Sister Act” and stage the “Celebration of the Arts” featuring the Senior Art Show and the spring band and choral concert.

“Besides putting everyone in the Christmas spirit, ‘Gifts of the Season’ is a great way to showcase St. Joe’s many talented students,” Principal Dena Kinsey said. “Our Fine Arts program is second-to-none, and this concert shows exactly why that is so.

“I can’t tell you how proud I am of these musicians, singers and performers,” she said. “Their dedication to developing and improving their talent is just one more example how St. Joe provides its students a first-rate, well-rounded, faith-based education.”