St. Joe community celebrates Catholic Schools Week

Clay Blanchard

Bishop Joseph Kopaz, right, and Deacon Denzel Lobo, left, participate in Mass.

Leah Clark, Co-editor

Last week, St. Joe joined other catholic schools across the nation to celebrate Catholic Schools Week.

The week’s festivities started off Monday, January 27 with Teacher Appreciation Day. St. Joe faculty members and teachers were treated to a “Mardi Gras” themed lunch.

“Children come to catholic schools to learn about Jesus and how to love others,” said St. Joe Principal Mrs. Dena Kinsey. “In addition to that, they get a great education and go on to become doctors, politicians, and members of society who make things better as well as make a difference.”

On Tuesday, the annual blood drive was held in the St. Joe Gym from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. Parents, faculty members, and students filled the gym throughout the day to donate blood. Also, interested families had the opportunity to be given student-guided tours during Bruin Break. Tours were led by student council members from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Unfortunately, bad weather put a halt to the much anticipated Catholic Education Rally at the Mississippi State Capitol. Numerous Catholic legislators were expected to attend the event with the Bruin Marching Band set to perform.

However, festivities picked back up on Thursday, January 30 with the annual Grandparents’ Mass. The Mass was held at 1:30 p.m. in the St. Joe Gym due to the large amount of attendees. Both grandparents and the Sisters of Mercy were recognized during the Mass. Also, Bishop Joseph Kopaz served as celebrant.

To close out Catholic School Week, St. Joe has its Student Appreciation Day on Friday. Student council members distributed Chick-fil-A chicken biscuits to all students on campus. Also, students were allowed free appropriate tops and socks with their uniform bottoms.

Later that day, students gathered in the St. Joe Gym for the Student-Teacher Basketball Game. Seniors dressed in various professional basketball jerseys, while they faced off against teachers and coaches. The teachers maintained their two year streak over the students as they won 46-31.

Catholic Schools Week is a way for catholic schools all over the country  spread awareness of the education they give. Kinsey says, “[It is a] celebration of all that we believe and accomplish through the infusion of the Holy Spirit.”

Check out the photo gallery below to see pictures from Catholic Schools Week.