St. Joe impresses at the Mississippi Math and Science Competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

From left to right: Mary Hazel Bellan, Bianca McCarty, Menley Clayton, Cas Simpson, Aislinn Boggan, Cole Rueff, Augusta Hirn, Mrs. Julie Muse, and Micheal Doherty

Bianca McCarty, Co-editor

St. Joe is always successful in the annual Mississippi Math and Science Competition, and this year is no exception. Yesterday, eleven students in grades 11th and 12th represented St. Joe on the Clinton campus of Mississippi College.

The morning competition consisted of two tests: mathematics and a science of the student’s speciality. They could choose from Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Computer Science.

The afternoon competition involved a quiz bowl tournament, quizzing students on the subjects listed above. St. Joe’s quiz bowl team impressed, taking home the gold in a close race with St. Stanislaus High School from Bay St. Louis.

St. Joe succeeded in both competitions, and those awards are listed below:

• Mary Hazel Bellan took 2nd place in chemistry (top 2%) and top 10% in mathematics.
  • Michael Doherty took 3rd place in mathematics.
  • Cole Rueff finished in the top 10% in mathematics.
  • Aislinn Boggan was in the top 10% in biology and top 20% in mathematics.
  • Bianca McCarty was in the top 10% in biology.
  • Menley Clayton finished in the top 20% in mathematics and top 20% in chemistry.
  • Cas Simpson finished in the top 20% in biology.
  • Augusta Hirn finished in the top 20% in mathematics.

St. Joe also took first place in the afternoon quiz bowl competition. Team members were captain Rueff, Doherty, McCarty, and Clayton.