St. Joe Band marches in Krewe of Thoth Mardi Gras Parade

St.+Joe+marches+in+the+Krewe+of+Thoth+Mardi+Gras+parade.+

St. Joe marches in the Krewe of Thoth Mardi Gras parade.

Derek Starling, Staff Writer

Last Sunday, the St. Joe Cheerleading team, Spirit Steppers, color guard, and band headed out to Uptown New Orleans for the annual Krewe of Thoth parade. This parade has taken place for over 70 years, and St. Joe was lucky enough to participate this year.

On Sunday, February 23rd, the Bruins drove for three hours in the early hours of the morning to march in the six mile long parade. The parade route began in the Garden District and ended near the French Quarter.

The band practiced tirelessly to prepare for the Krewe of Thoth parade. In the parade, they played songs such as Mardi Gras Mambo and Gonna Take You There.

“We have practiced outside as much as the weather allowed. You may recall that we have had record rainfall in the months of January and February. Musically, I believe we were as prepared as we could possibly been,” said Mr. Ronald Russell, Bruin Band director.

Maia Turner, an eighth grade band saxophone player credits their performance to their teacher, Ronnie Russell, who has directed the Bruin Band for 16 years. 

“Mr. Russell has let us take our instruments and music home to practice on our own and helped us individually to perfect our tune,” said Turner.

While the band played, the Spirit Steppers and Cheerleaders performed at least three different marching routines, one for each song the band played. 

“The parade was an unreal experience. It was so much fun to be in, and we made plenty of great memories,” said Gia Picarella, freshman member of the Spirit Steppers. 

The New Orleans Mardi Gras experience will certainly leave its mark on St. Joe students lucky enough to experience it. As they say in New Orleans, “let the good times roll!”