3 seniors selected to represent St. Joe in Portico Jackson Magazine

Leah Clark, Co-editor

Three St. Joe seniors were selected to represent the school in the Portico Jackson Magazine. 

Jessica Smith, Erin Dorsey, and Jack Clements were chosen to be in Portico’s “25 Students Who Will Change the World” feature. This annual feature spotlights high school seniors within the metro-Jackson area. St. Joe has had the honor of having students featured every year since as early as 2011.

“I can’t imagine three better people to be chosen for this honor,” said St. Joe’s principal Dr. Dena Kinsey.

The feature will not only depict the three seniors, but it will also feature the essays they submitted as their application for this honor. During her application process, senior Jessica Smith describes her passion for helping those in need.

Smith makes an effort to volunteer at a local food bank frequently and has even established a Bubble Bank that provides hygiene and toiletries products for the less fortunate.

“From an early age, I have been taught by my family, my church, and my school community about the love of God and that I could make a difference in my world,” said Smith. “I came to realize that one person can make a difference if they truly care.”

Another issue Smith is passionate about is advocating for those with learning differences. While she battles with a learning difference, she does not allow it to hinder herself. She credits her hard work as well as the services at St. Joe for her academic success. Smith has an active role on campus as she participates on the varsity Softball team and Colorguard.

For Smith, she hopes to use this opportunity to “reflect positively on all those that have had an impact on my life including my teachers, coaches, and friends at St. Joe.”

Community service is an important aspect of St. Joe’s curriculum as students are required to have a certain number of hours according to their grades levels. This encourages students, like Smith, to participate in their community. Smith, along with Dorsey and Clements, are prime examples of students who have gone beyond the call.

“They are all great students and are a model of what we strive for every student at St. Joe,” said Kinsey.

The “25 Students Who Will Change the World” will include the three seniors when it is featured in the September issue of the Portico Jackson Magazine.

The Bear Facts will interview the three students in the following weeks as part of the “St. Joe Scoop” feature.