St. Joe adapts to changes as it celebrates ‘The Most Magical Homecoming on Earth’

From+left+to+right%3A+Seniors+Cas+Simpson%2C+Leah+Clark%2C+Elizabeth+Weisenberger%2C+Bianca+McCarty%2C+Menely+Clayton%2C+Abia+Walker%2C+and+Iliana+Ramos.+

Clay Blanchard

From left to right: Seniors Cas Simpson, Leah Clark, Elizabeth Weisenberger, Bianca McCarty, Menely Clayton, Abia Walker, and Iliana Ramos.

Leah Clark, Co-editor

As homecoming week arrives on St. Joe’s campus, so do changes as the school continues to prioritize health and safety.

The 2020 homecoming week has a Disney-centered theme dubbed as “The Most Magical Homecoming on Earth.” Usually, homecoming week would start on Monday, but school was closed in recognition of Columbus Day. Instead, festivities started on Tuesday, October 13th with the theme Prince and Princess Day. Students were given the opportunity to dress as their favorite Disney character.

“A lot of traditions at St. Joe have changed this year because of the pandemic, so I am glad that I was able to still dress up and participate in homecoming,” said senior Cas Simpson.

Sleeping Beauty Day will follow on Wednesday, October 14th when students can wear their pajamas to school. On Thursday, students who purchased a homecoming t-shirt will be able to wear it accompanied by their uniform bottoms or jeans. The t-shirt was designed by St. Joe senior Mary Hazel Bellan, and all proceeds will go towards the St. Joe student council. Friday, October 16th will close out the week with the usual “Blue and Gold Day” theme. Students can dress in their Bruin spirtwear.

In contrast to previous years at St. Joe, there will not a pep rally on every day of the homecoming week. Pep rallies have the tendency to draw crowds of students, which is discouraged during the coronavirus pandemic. However, the student council still wanted to make an effort “to bring excitement to the students during the troubling times,” said student body vice president Trinity Johnson.

Only one pep rally will be held on Friday on the football field, where students will be able to be socially distance. During the pep rally, students will be treated to performances by the Bruin Band, varisty cheerleaders, and Spirit Steppers. Only students will be in attendance as high schoolers will be seated at the field and middle schoolers will be seated in a different location.

Later, that night, the St. Joe Bruin varsity football team will face the St. Stanislaus Rock-A-Chaws at 7 p.m. on the Bill Raphael Field. Ordinarily, St. Joe alumni would return to campus, but only people with wristbands will be granted entry into the game.

During halftime, the 2020 homecoming court will be presented. Each grade is represented by two maids, except for the senior class. Grades 9th through 12th will vote for homecoming queen out of the four senior maids. The results from the election will be announced during halftime as the Crowning of the Queen.

Representing the freshmen class will be Stella McCarty and Paige Loyacono. Sophomore maids are K.K. Wolf and Bryn Lieb. The junior class will be represented by Lara Moriarity and Dallas Hill. The four senior maids are Trinity Johnson, Bianca McCarty, DeAsia Evans, and Jessica Smith.

Another major change to the 2020 homecoming week is the cancellation of the homecoming dance. “Usually, the dance would be spearheaded by the sophomore student council members,” said Johnson, “but this year, we weren’t able to see how we could host a dance that would keep students at a safe distance from each other.”