Third annual Trunk-or-Treat to be held on St. Joe campus

Jack Clements, Guest contributor

Three years ago, a new tradition was born on the St. Joe campusIn October of 2018, droves of costumed children filled the Bruin parking lot the evening of the first ever Trunk or Treat at the Joe. The event was so popular and successful that administrators decided to make it an annual occurrence 

For the first two years, the protocol was simpleSt. Joe students would band together with their various clubs, sports teams, or student organizations and decorate a trunk of a car; then, the children from around the area would come in costume and roam from trunk to trunk and the students would pass our candy. 

The 2020 Trunk or Treat will be different, however. Due to these new and unprecedented times in which we liveprecautions must be taken. Tonight’s Trunk or Treat will not look the same as the past two years. Instead, it will be a drive through. The way it will work this year is that parents, with their children in their cars, will drive in through the carpool entrance gate near the field house and proceed along a predetermined route by the decorated trunks.  

“We designed the layout to where children can stay in the safety of their cars and not come into close contact with others,” Clark said “the event organizers have also planned the route so that the all the trunks will be on one side of the car so the kids don’t have to switch sides constantly.” 

When the cars pull up to a trunk, club members or athletes will distribute that candy—while wearing masks—and then the parents will drive to the next trunk. After they have visited all the trunks, patrons will exit through the the main gate in front of the bell tower. This way, trunk-or-treaters will be safe and still be able to enjoy a fun-filled evening. 

In addition to organizing the event on campus, student council members, Clark included, distributed candy bags to the three Catholic feeder schools: St. Anthony, St. Richards, and Sr. Thea Bowmen.

“We figured it would be a great way to make the event seem more inviting and a way to distributed informational brochures about Saint Joseph to prospective parents,” Clark added.

The brochures were in the bags that were distributed at the schools. Children can still bring whatever candy-collecting bag they like, these were just given out as an added option. Though the special bags were distributed only to the Catholic feeder schools, this event is still open to the public, as in years past. 

Even with the aforementioned safety measures in place, some participants are still a little apprehensive about the third annual trunk or treat. St. Joe Spanish teacher Anna Scott expressed her concern over having so many outsiders on campus.

“I believe all the foreign language clubs are going to combine and only do one trunk this year [as apposed to the Spanish, Latin, and French clubs each doing their own] to try and minimize the amount of people we have to bring,” said Ms. Scott. 

As always with COVID safety, families need to do what is best for them, and what makes them feel safe. That way, Trunk or Treat 2020 can be a fun, safe evening for everyone.