BNN August 26, 2022

Bruin News Now is made possible by the generous support of C Spire, Orange Theory Fitness, St. Dominic’s, and other fine sponsors.

This week on the show:

• St. Joe offers many opportunities for students to get involved in the school community.
  • The summer heat creates serious problems for Bruin athletes.
  • Look for the heat to continue as we inch closer to the fall and cooler temperatures.

From BNN headquarters on the campus of St. Joseph Catholic School in Madison, this is Mississippi’s high school news leader — the award-winning, student-produced weekly newscast — Bruin News Now.

Happy Friday, St. Joe. This is the second episode of season 8 of Bruin News Now — our first weekly edition of the school year for our student produced newscast. Look for our newscast to appear on the BNN channel on YouTube every Friday, starting today. Our mission is simple — bring you the latest, most important news and happenings on the St. Joe campus. We will feature stories about you, events that matter to you, and news of importance to you.

News

We’ve made it through the first three weeks of the new school year, and it’s been crazy with football, softball, volleyball, swimming, soccer, weekly mass, class projects and, of course, the dreaded class tests — you know, the usual school stuff.

As you can tell, we have many things to do on campus, and the cool thing about it is that every student has the ability to participate in these activities. In fact — listen up new students —there’s something for everyone.  St. Joe offers 23 different sports, several clubs, and art and music classes.

Like we said, there’s something here for everyone, so be sure to listen and look for club meetings, sports teams tryouts, and more. We are a small school with around 400 students, offering plenty of opportunities for everyone.

One way you can become involved is through community service. All students at St. Joe are required to perform service hours — a way to give back to others what God has given to us. Middle school students must complete 20 hours of gospel service while high school students must complete 30 hours. Half of those hours — 10 for middle school and 15 for high school — must be completed by the end of this semester. If you are looking for a service project or some way to earn those hours, check with fellow students and faculty, or you can check the Gospel Service Hours bulletin board in the Administration Building near the faculty lounge.

Our first dress mass of the year was Thursday in the Fine Arts auditorium. This is an annual beginning-of-the-year mass. Next Thursday, September 1, will also be a dress mass, so don’t forget to wear your dress uniform one more time.

Interviews for the Bruinthon committee begin next week. Students can still sign up for interview slots on Mrs. Kathryn Blanchard’s door. This year, students must have a letter of recommendation from a teacher, pastor, or advisor. Bruinthon is St. Joe’s largest community fundraiser and benefits the Blair’s E. Batson’s children’s hospital. Check with Mrs. Blanchard or Ava Kathryn Stephen for more information.

Need help adding and subtracting? How about with quadratics? Geometry? Anything like that? MU Alpha Theta — the math honors society — will begin math tutoring before and after school for students in middle school up to Geometry and Algebra 2 starting next week. Be sure to take advantage of this free tutoring.

Living out Loud, the small faith groups for students will also begin meeting. All students in grades 7 and 8 are welcome to attend at 7:15 A.M. in room 506. Breakfast will be served along with the first talk of the year. The next grades to attend will be freshman and sophomores.

Sports  

Topping sports news this week is Bruins football. After losing the season-opener 28 to 7 at home last week against Copiah Academy, the Bruins hit the road tonight in search of their first win. Tonight’s opponent: the Natchez Cathedral Green Wave. The Greenies lost their season opener last week — a 50 to 6 defeat on the road at the hands of Madison-Ridgeland Academy. The Bruins, led by high-powered quarterback Emile Picarella, defeated the Greenies in their last meeting at Bill Raphael field 12 to 0 last year. The Bruins hope to make it two years in a row tonight. If you can’t make it to Natchez, you can listen to all of the action live on Bruins Sports Radio Heard Exclusively on WJXCLP Jackson, Mississippi Catholic Radio, 107.9. Connor Odom, Brandon Burkes, and Gia Picarella will bring you all of the action live. The Coach Jason Moore Pre-Game show airs at 6:45 P.M. followed by kickoff at 7:00. You can also watch a live video stream on the BNN YouTube channel with audio from Bruin Sports Radio beginning at 7:00.

In lady Bruin soccer, the girls lost to Lamar Academy 2-1. Lamar and St. Joe are 1 and 2 in the district. The next district contest is against Parkplace next Thursday. However, this week they played Washington Academy on Tuesday and St. Al on Thursday. Good work girls.

Girls volleyball has gotten of to a slow start with a 0- and -4 record. The team has yet to win a set this year after claiming the state title just last year. The team played a home district game against Pillow Academy at St. Joe Gym this Tuesday the next time the girls are in action is tomorrow against Madison Ridgeland Academy.

In softball, the Bruins were scheduled to play Monday against the Cathedral Green Wave, but due to weather and the condition of the field, the game was cancelled. Speaking of weather conditions, both swim meets this week also have been cancelled.

In cross country, the Bruin team hits the ground running today with their first meet of the season. Today’s meet is set for Jaguar Trails. The girls will run at 5:30 P.M. followed by the boys at 6. It should be a great start to what looks like a great season.

Finally, the summer heat has been especially intense the past few weeks. With temperatures in the upper 90s and the heat index even higher, Bruin athletes have been working hard to find a way to practice without putting their health at risk.

Well, that’s it for this week’s edition of Bruin News Now. Thanks for watching, and be sure to like, comment, share, and subscribe to the BNN channel on YouTube, where you can find an archive of every edition produced throughout all 8 seasons.

Have a great weekend, and we’ll see you next week.