BNN September 16

NEWSCAST EMBED CODE:

Emerson Erwin, News Director

Bruin News Now is made possible by C-Spire, St. Dominic’s, Orange Theory Fitness, the Compretta family, and other fine sponsors.

This week on the show:

• The St. Joe Color Guard is back in action
  •  Football looks to bounce back after last week’s loss
  • It looks like we might escape the rain for tonight’s big football game

Your Friday football forecast, the rest of the weekend weather, sports, and all the news are next. Bruin News Now for Friday, September 16, 2022, begins right now.

From the BNN headquarters on the campus of St. Joseph Catholic School in Madison, this is Mississippi’s high school news leader – the award-winning, student-produced, weekly newscast  Bruin News Now.

News

It’s Friday, and the last day of a busy week here at the Joe. From sporting events, including softball and volleyball, to the academic classes and the annual college fair, it’s been one heck of a week.

The chaos won’t stop this afternoon, with our third pep rally of the year in the gym, followed by a varsity football game tonight against Tri-County Academy at Bill Raphael field. We’ll have more on the football game later, but we do want to talk about one aspect of the game – halftime. Besides watching the bruin band and the spirit steppers take the field, another group also has been participating. The St. Joe color guard is back in action. This group of talented girls have put in a lot of work the past several weeks reviving this color guard. BNN’s Kent Stribling spent some time with the group and has this report.

The color guard is a welcome addition to the bruin lineup. The group has been fun to watch at pep rallies and football games. And as we inch closer to homecoming week, we’re sure they will continue to be an important part of St. Joe.

Homecoming isn’t that far away, is it? The celebration is set to begin one week from Monday on September 26, with the theme Mama Mia. A full week of themed dress days and afternoon pep rallies is planned. Of course, it all reaches a climax at halftime of the homecoming football game against Leake Academy on Friday, September 30, when the homecoming queen will be crowned at halftime. And then it’s off to the homecoming dance on Saturday, October 1, right here in the St. Joe gym. We already have had several homecoming proposals with guys asking girls to the big dance. The event is open to students in grades 9 to 12.

Living out Loud, the small faith community of St. Joe students, continued their discussion of faith issues over breakfast. The freshmen and sophomores met this week. Next week, it’s juniors and seniors. And then it all stars over again with seventh and eighth graders. The meetings are a great way to keep in touch with your Catholic faith.

The first academic quarter is more than half over. Today, parents will receive progress reports for their children – the final one before the end of the quarter. Parents can check their email this afternoon for progress reports. Students whose grades may not be as strong as they would like have a few weeks left to improve their scores, so  get to work.

The senior class was originally scheduled to do a day of service today at the Carmelite monastery in south Jackson, home to the Carmelite nuns. The event, however, was canceled. Seniors will attend their regular classes today and the day of service will be rescheduled for a later date.

The Pro-Life Club had an interest meeting at 7:15 A.M. today. Members discussed ways to help pregnancy resource centers and to spread the pro-life message in the community and throughout the school. Students in grades 7 through 12 are welcome to join the group.

Sports

Looks like a great night tonight for football. In fact, coming up on the sports segment, we’ll have the latest on bruin football, softball, volleyball. Stick around – sports and weather are next.

Bruin football returns to action tonight with the hope of rebounding after last week’s home loss to Jackson Academy. Weather is supposed to be nice – which would be a welcome change from the rain that fell on the season-opener last month and the torrential downpour that soaked Bill Raphael field last week. Either way, the Bruins, 2-and-2 on the year, say they are ready for tonight’s big matchup against Tri-County Academy. Tri-county enters tonight’s game undefeated at 4-and-0, and coming off a 26-to-13 win over Rayville Academy in Rayville, Louisiana.

Kickoff tonight is 7:00 P.M. at Bill Raphael field. Tickets are $8, and St. Joe students get in free. Students from St. Anthony, St. Richard, and Sister Thea Bowman Catholic Schools also are free if they wear their school shirt. Arrive early and get yourself a good seat. If you can’t make tonight’s game, you can listen to all of the action live on Bruin Sports Radio heard exclusively on WJXCLP. You also can watch a live stream of the game on the BNN channel on YouTube with audio from Bruin Sports Radio.

In cross country, the Bruins competed Monday at their first meet of the season – the Benton Academy Invitational at the Benton Country Club. Star runner William Fugate placed first, beating the runner in second place by two minutes. Angela Bethea finished first for the girls with Mabry Hirn and Sydney Collins finishing in the top 20. 

In Bruin swimming, the team competed last week at Briarwood against St. Al and other schools. Jameson Clancy won the 500. Adam Williams won his race. Swimmers will have their next meet Monday, September 19, in Vicksburg.

Bruin volleyball played at home Tuesday against Ridgeland. The Bruins tied the Titans in a 4-set match. The Bruins then had a tie breaker and fell short of the victory. The final score for that set was 8-15.

In softball, the Bruins traveled to Central Hinds this week, winning 11-to-10. Up next: a road trip to Adams County Christian School in Natchez.

Finally, the JV cheerleaders and the Spirit Steppers dance team traveled to Jackson on Wednesday for the statewide MAIS competition. While they didn’t place in the end, the girls had a great trip and learned a lot from other schools. Congratulations to  both teams. They do an amazing job every week at football games. The Spirit Steppers certainly know how to entertain the crowd during halftime.

That’s it for this week’s edition of Bruin News Now. Remember to like, comment, share and subscribe to the BNN YouTube channel, where you will find an archive with every edition of BNN ever produced.

Thanks for joining us today. We’ll see you at the game tonight. From all of us here at Bruin News Now, so long everybody.