BNN September 30, 2022

News

Bruin News Now is made possible by C-Spire, St. Dominic’s, Orange Theory Fitness, Bank Plus, the Compretta family and other fine sponsors.

This week on the show:

• Homecoming week takes over the St. Joe campus.
  • The Bruin football team hosts Leake Academy in tonight’s homecoming game.

Going to the homecoming game tonight? Bring a jacket or a sweater as temperatures are expected to drop into the 60s. Weather, sports and all the news are next. Bruin News Now for Friday, September 29, 2022, begins right now.

From the BNN headquarters on the campus of St. Joseph Catholic School in Madison, this is Mississippi’s high school news leader – the award-winning, student produced, weekly newscast — Bruin News Now.

It’s homecoming week, and it’s been a busy one here on campus. While we wrap up the last two weeks of the first academic quarter, we also have had a lot of fun activities all week tied to our homecoming theme of Mama Mia. We have had themed dress days that saw students come to school in beachwear on Monday, togas on Tuesday, 1970s disco clothing on Wednesday, the official homecoming t-shirt on Thursday, and blue-and-gold for spirit day on Friday.

It’s all been building up to the big weekend starting today. And that includes tonight’s home football game, the crowning of the homecoming queen at halftime, and the annual homecoming dance Saturday night in the gym.

Homecoming week has been so much fun this year. We have had a great theme, and it looks like a lot of students felt the same. We saw a lot of Bruins participate in themed dress days all week. And the pep rallies to end each day were a lot of fun too.

I have been looking forward to the homecoming dance Saturday night. The dance is one of two St. Joe hosts every year. While prom in the spring is open to juniors and seniors, homecoming dance is open to all freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors. Besides homecoming, we also have had another exciting event this week.  Science teacher Chris Callahan had a viewing of the night sky this week at St. Joe’s very own observatory.It’s been a while since students had a chance to look at the night sky at our observatory. In fact, that was one of the things science teacher Chris Callahan wanted to when he returned to St. Joe after being gone a few years.

On Monday, October 3, seniors will meet 8:00 to 8:45 A.M. in the fine arts auditorium to learn about senior class graduation announcements they may want to send to family and friends next spring. Graduation is still seven months away, but it’s great to get a head start. When spring semester begins, seniors will watch time fly by.

The first academic quarter comes to an end on Friday, October 7. That means students have just one more week of classes to improve their grades before the end of the quarter. Report cards for the first quarter are expected to be sent by email to parents the week of October 10.

Monday, October 10, also is a school holiday – Columbus Day, or Indigenous People’s Day – celebrating Columbus’ discovery of America and the history and contributions made by Native Americans. St. Joe will be closed Monday. Classes will resume and the second academic quarter will begin at 8 A.M. Tuesday, October 11.

Wednesday, October 12, is the day juniors will take the preliminary SAT, better known as the P-SAT. The national standardized test is also the national merit scholarship qualifying test. Students with high scores on the P-SAT could qualify for the national merit scholarship, other possible scholarships, and scholarship money for higher education.

Speaking of the national merit scholarship and the P-SAT, congratulations go to Bruin senior Thomas Klopman – who has been named a commended national merit scholar based on his scores on the P-SAT. Commended students are generally in the top 3-5% of the scorers on the P-SAT/NMSQT. The honor is a major accomplishment and recognizes Klopman’s overall strong P-SAT score.

Sports

Bruin football had a tough loss last week on the road at Simpson Academy, falling 42 to 6 to the cougars. Tonight, in this year’s homecoming game, the Bruins host the Leake Academy rebels. The Bruins enter tonight’s game with a 2-and-4 record while the rebels enter with a 2-and-3 record.

Admission tonight is $8, and St. Joe students get in free. Students from St. Anthony, St. Richard and Sister Thea Bowman Catholic Schools are admitted free if they wear their school shirt. 

If you can’t make tonight’s homecoming game, you can listen to all of the action live on Bruin Sports Radio heard exclusively on WJXCLP Jackson, Mississippi Catholic Radio, 107.9. You also can watch a live video stream of the game with audio from the Bruin Sports Radio team right here on the Bruin News Now YouTube channel. Kick off is 7:00 P.M.

This will be the final regular season home game for the Bruins. The Bruins had planned to host Park Place Christian Academy at home on Oct. 21 for senior night, but Park Place canceled their football season. Don’t worry, though, Dr. Dena Kinsey, St. Joe’s principal, promises St. Joe will hold a special senior night program this fall.

Other fall sports are quickly coming to an end. Lady Bruins softball ended regular season play last week. The Bruins advanced to the playoffs, losing Saturday and ending the season.

Girls soccer has been doing great this season. They played at Bayou Academy and tied 1-1.

This week, the swim team went to the state meet at grit on Wednesday. BNN was there for this report.

Winter sports tryouts and practices are around the corner. Boys basketball will kick off their season October 29 against North Pike. Lady Bruins basketball’s first game is to be announced. That’s it for this weeks Bruin News Now Sports Report.

We’re definitely enjoying this nice cooler weather. It’s a welcome relief from the heat and rain we have had almost all summer. Hopefully it will be just like this for the homecoming game tonight. Although we’ve been talking about the exciting things this weekend there was also something interesting this past Sunday, Germanfest. Germanfest took place at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Gluckstadt. It was a time to celebrate German culture, the historic background on Gluckstadt, great food and lots of entertainment.

That’s it for this week’s edition of Bruin News Now. Remember to like, comment, share and subscribe to our YouTube channel where you will find an archive of BNN episodes, as well as tonight’s live stream of Bruin football. From all of us here at BNN, have a great weekend. Until next time.