BNN Nov. 4, 2022

News

Bruin News Now is made possible by the generous support of C-Spire, St. Dominics, Orange Theory Fitness, Bank Plus, the Compretta family and other fine sponsors.

This week on the show: St. Joe’s Jimena Gallo Periera right at home 5,000 miles from her family.

Bruin football travels to Simpson Academy for a second round playoff game.

Traveling south to Mendenhall to see the Bruins play tonight? Take a sweater. Temperatures should be in the 60s throughout the game. Weather, sports and all the news are next. Bruin news now for Friday, November 4, 2022, begins right now.

From the BNN headquarters on the campus of St. Joseph Catholic School in Madison, this is Mississippi’s high school news leader the award-winning, student-produced, weekly high school newscast – Bruin News Now.

Hello, everybody. We’ve had a busy week here at the Joe – what with preparations for youth legislature and the fall play next week, getting ready for the second round of football playoffs tonight, and a Pro-Life Brunch this weekend. 

As we race toward the mid-point of the second academic quarter, the pace will only quicken. We have Thanksgiving Break in just two weeks and then it’s a mad race to the end of the first semester.

This fall and the past few months have been especially crazy for one St. Joe student. Jimena Gallo Periera is attending school here this year  thousands of miles away from her family in Germany. 

Jimena is living an adventure unimaginable to many, and in the process, she is making life-long memories. BNN’s Stella McCarty caught up with Jimena recently and has more. Hopefully, Jimena is enjoying St. Joe just as much as we are enjoying her. It’s always great to welcome new people into our Bruin family  especially someone so far away from home.

Speaking of families, the Pro-Life Club is doing its part to help others. The club is hosting a baby shower brunch this Sunday. The fun starts at 11 AM in the fine arts lobby, and admission is $5 each.

Those who bring diapers, wipes and other baby items will be entered into a raffle to win prizes. All money raised will support the Catholic Charities’ maternal support services. Everyone is welcome to come out and support. 

Catholic Charities does a lot to help people all over Mississippi. This event is St. Joe’s way of saying thanks to such an important organization.
Next week we have two very important events happening. The 2022 edition of Youth Legislature hits the ground first. A delegation of students from St. Joe will head to downtown Jackson on Thursday, Nov. 10, for the three-day Youth Legislature conference. There, students will participate in a mock state legislature, where they will propose and debate legislation  and get a taste of what it’s like to serve in government.

The following night, Friday, Nov. 11 one week from today the curtain will rise on the 2022 fall play at the St. Joe Fine Arts theater. Students have been learning lines, blocking scenes, building sets and getting ready for opening night of the stage version of the hit movie “A Christmas Story.” Performances are 7:00 PM Friday and Saturday, as well as a 2:00 PM matinee on Sunday, Nov. 13. Admission is $12, with St. Joe students admitted free. Students from Sister Thea Bowman, St. Richard and St. Anthony Catholic Schools also are admitted free if they wear their school shirt.

Bruinthon’s next fundraiser began Tuesday with No-Shave November. Gentlemen who want to give their razor a break for the next few weeks can participate by paying $15 for the month to Mrs. Kathryn Blanchard. All money raised will go to Bruinthon, which is a major fundraiser for the Batson Children’s hospital. And remember, gentlemen, this is only for November. When Thursday, Dec. 1, comes around, you will need to quickly shave your face.

Senior yearbook ads are now on sale for the 2023 edition of The Shield yearbook. Ads cost $300 for a full page, $200 for a half page and $150 for a quarter page. You need to hurry, though, ad sales close at 5:00 PM Wednesday, November 30. You can buy and design your senior ads online by visiting www.buy the yearbook.com. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Terry Cassreino, the yearbook adviser, at [email protected]

It’s hard to believe that Thanksgiving is just a couple of weeks away. Time is flying by fast. It’s great to have a minute to catch your breath and think about life quietly. Last week, we had a few minutes to do something similar. The St. Joe community came together in the school gym for the first-ever Living Rosary a solemn event and moving tribute to Mary. BNN’s Kel Hamilton was there and has more in this story.

One more thing before we go. Earlier, we told you about senior ads for the 2023 yearbook. Now, anyone students, faculty, staff and family  can contribute St. Joe-related photos for possible publication in the yearbook. All you have to do is create a free account at www.buytheyearbook.com. Then you can upload your photos online for The Shield staff to consider. Remember to upload high-resolution photos.

Sports

Hey Bruins, this is your Bruin News Now sports report. Topping this week in news is Bruin football. The Bruins had a nail-biting first round playoff game against Lamar on Friday. The final score was 34-31 with the Bruins on top, thanks to a last-minute score that stunned the home 0 standing Lamar School crowd. Tonight, the football team travels south to Mendenhall, where they will face a rematch against Simpson Academy. Tonight’s game comes more than a month after the Bruins fell to Simpson 43-6 in a regular season game back in September. A win tonight will advance the Bruins to a third-round game and ever closer to the state championship.

In Bruin boys soccer, the team continues to prepare for their start of the 2022 to 2023 season. The season-opener is Thursday, November 10 at Brookhaven Academy. Stayed tuned next week for more in boys soccer. That’s it for this week’s Bruin News Now sports report. Go bruins.

That’s it for this week’s edition of Bruin News Now. Remember to like, comment, share, and subscribe to our YouTube channel, where you will find an archive of all BNN episodes. From all of us here at BNN, have a great weekend. So long everybody.