Natalia Igwebuike wins second straight school spelling bee

Eighth grader Natalia Igwebuike after winning the St. Joe Spelling Bee for the second year in a row.

Eighth grader Natalia Igwebuike is eyeing her second straight appearance in the Madison County Spelling Bee after capturing the St. Joe bee early this month.

It was the second straight year Igwebuike won the St. Joe Spelling Bee. She won  the spelling bee last school year as a seventh grader.

“When I won, I felt like jumping for joy,” Igwebuike said. “I just couldn’t wait to finish my journey on a good note.”

Igwebuike competed against a field of — seventh- and eighth-graders. The St. Joe Spelling Bee took place Friday, Dec. 7, in the school library before as small crowd of teachers and parents.

Igwebuike advances now to the Madison County Spelling Bee. If she wins that contest, she will advance to the Mississippi Spelling Bee – the final step before the Scripps National Spelling Bee next spring in Washington.

Natalia Igwebuike’s winning word was “bronchitis.” 

“Even thought I’m very nervous for district, I am proud that no matter what I place I will have represented my family, friends, and St. Joe,” Igwebuike said.

The eighth grader has an illustrious spelling bee career. Ever since sixth grade, she has won her school spelling bee. 

Last year, Igwebuike advanced to the county spelling bee and placed first. While she failed to win the state spelling bee, she still placed fifth in the event that took place at Jackson State University.

Igwebuike said her strong finish last year added pressure for her to perform well at this year’s school event. 

On the other hand, she said, the experience was invaluable in teaching her how to prepare for this year’s school competition. 

“Because I have participated in many spelling bees, I do believe that my past experiences has helped me to know how to study and prepare,” she said. 

Igwebuike studied the list of allotted words. 

But being a veteran of the spelling bee scene, she took an additional step that she believes helped her remember the  

spelling of words and the association with the words.

the words.

She said, “Just to be secure, I looked up the words in the dictionary and learned their meaning.”

This way, Iqwebuike could recognize a word during the bee and also remember the spelling of homophones based on the dictionary definition. 

Her experience during the state special be will be of even more value this year. 

With many young participants, the nervousness of the whole setting at the state bee can throw them off their game. They become so anxious about the atmosphere itself that it become hard to focus on clearing their mind and focusing on spelling the words. 

Igwenuike is a standout student at Saint Joe, so her success in the spelling bees does not surprise her students or peers. 

She has high aspirations that she will repeat the success she had last year at the county bee, and exceed her success at the state competition. 

Igwebuike is a standout student at St. Joe, so her success in the spelling bees does not surprise her students or peers.