Bruin baseball advances to second round of playoffs Friday

Joe Pearson, Editor

The Bruins swept Clarkdale Attendance Center in two games to start the postseason. Now they’re heading for a second round matchup against Perry Central High School Friday.

Last year, the Bruins met the Bulldogs in the South State Championship, where they swept them in two games. This year, they’re hopeful for a similar outcome.

Towards the end of the season, the Bruins offense has been on a role, and the team has started to fire on all cylinders.

Josh Bailey has been the ace on the mound. In 40 innings pitched, he’s giving up just 8 earned runs.

Bailey hasn’t just been effective, but dominate. He has 64 strikeout and an opponent batting average of just .184.

Brock Morris is leading the way at the plate with a batting average of .508 with 7 doubles and 2 triples.

Behind Morris, the offense has sparked in recent games. In the first round of the playoffs, the Bruins scored 18 runs in two games, allowing just 2.

If the Bruins stay hot at the plate, and the defense plays solidly, the team stands a good chance of advancing.

It is quite possible that despite early struggles, that the team is peaking at the right time of the year.

Some of the rough stretches early in the year opened the teams eyes to the improvements that needed to be made. Over the course of the year, with the guidance of Coach Gerard McCall, the team has been able to navigate through some difficulties.

Thanks in part to those loses, the team finds itself in the second round of the playoffs and in position to again make a run at a State Championship.

The Bruins were scheduled to play Thursday, but because of rain, the game was postponed. Instead, game 1 of the series will be played Friday at Perry Central at 7 pm. Game 2 will follow at D.M. Howie Field on Saturday at 2 pm.