13th annual Bruin Classic Golf Tournament nears, followed by Bruin Bash

Leah Clark, Assignments Editor

The 13th annual Bruin Classic Golf Tournament and Bruin Bash are quickly approaching. 

The event is scheduled for May 10th with the golf tournament at Whisper Lake and the crawfish boil and concert being held at the St. Joe campus on D.M. Howie Field, immediately following the end of golf tournament. 

“Representatives from the Parent Association, the Fine Arts Support Team, and the Bruin Boosters have been getting together in a collaborative effort to plan an event that the whole school can enjoy, and that will involve parent volunteers from all areas,” says Rachel Dear, the president of F.A.S.T.

The golf tournament begins with registration during lunch at 11:30 a.m. and shotgun start at 1 p.m.

The golf tournament is expected to have approximately 30 teams, but the Booster Club is hoping for even more to come out and support this event. Teams will be able to play in the Million Dollar Shootout.

Participates will also have the opportunity to play celebrity golf with St. Joe coaches, such as Gerald McCall, Michael Howell, and John Bond. Along with Coach Bond, his friend and country music singer, Steve Azar, will be joining the tournament.

“Steve Azar is a buddy of mine. We’ve been friends for several years now. He asked me to play in this golf tournament to raise money for some art festivals in the Delta,” said Bond. “So when I heard about St. Joe’s tournament, he was the first person I thought of.”

After the golf tournament, there will be a crawfish boil starting at 5 p.m. A $20 ticket gets you all the crawfish you can eat for ages 12 and older. A ticket for children seven through eleven years of age are $10 and kids below seven years old eat free. Steve Azar will be performing at the event beginning at 7 p.m.

“Come out to these events. It should be and will be one of the biggest community events here at St. Joe in many years,” says Michael Heilman, president of St. Joe’s Booster Club. 

The Bruin Boosters host the annual Bruin Classic and Bash every year, and it is known as one of the biggest fundraiser of the year. The link for tickets, t-shirts, and signing up are here: https://www.stjoebruins.com/apps/pages/BOOSTERCLUB