St. Joe students raise $13,025 at BruinTHON

St. Joe students spent 8 hours on their feet to raise money for Blair E. Batson Children's Hospital

Leah Clark, Assignments Editor

St. Joe students crowded the gym on Friday night, April 26, and raised $13, 025 at BruinTHON.

The event, which is the school’s largest annual community fundraiser, followed after months of planning by student organizers. The 2019 BruinTHON committee was led by student director Anna Rose Myrick. Money raised benefitted the Blair E. Batson Children’s Hospital in Jackson.

“I think we definitely had an amazing event, and we were all very proud of it,” Myrick said. 

BruinTHON began at 4 p.m. in the gym. This year’s theme was arcade games. Participants, which included middle and high school students, were split into teams according to classic video games. 

Throughout the night, participants played games, danced, and stayed on their feet for eight straight hours. There was also karaoke during the ever-popular “Disney Hour.” Patients from Batson’s Children Hospital even showed up to express their appreciation for the students’ work.

One of these patients were Finn Blaylock, the younger brother of St. Joe students Gabe and Declan Blaylock. Finn is fighting a rare form of childhood cancer.

When the event ended at midnight, participants raised $13,025 in cash to benefit the Blair E. Batson Children’s Hospital in Jackson, Mississippi.

The money will benefit the hospital along with the young patients it serves.