St. Joe’s annual Celebration of Arts and Senior Art Show is here

Leah Clark, Assignments Editor

This Sunday, May 5th, the St. Joe Fine Arts Department is having its annual Senior Art Show and Celebration of Arts.

The program will begin at 2 p.m. in the Fine Arts theater and tickets are complimentary. Guests will also be treated to light hors d’oeuvres.

The program will feature a concert by the Bruin band, which consists of middle and high school students. The students will perform a selection of classic and contemporary songs. Also, the concert will highlight senior performers.

“Anyone that knows our band, knows that we aren’t a traditional high school band. We do things a little bit differently,” says Mr. Ronnie Russell, the chair of the Fine Arts Department and Bruin Band director. “Our students have an opportunity to play many different styles of music.”

A combined seventh- and eighth-grade choir will perform three songs in the concert, while the high school girls choir will perform four songs. All choirs will join together to perform “Love is Love.”

During the concert, the Senior Art Show will take place in the Fine Arts Building. This year’s theme is “28 Ways to Say Goodbye,” as there are 28 senior art students graduating this year.

These seniors will display art that they have created throughout their entire career at St. Joe. Specially marked pieces will be available for purchase.

The showcase, which is in its 15th year, allows graduating students to learn how to display pieces. They are advised by St. Joe Art teacher, Ms. Lou Ann Turner.

“It is important to see the progression of learning from being in the seventh grade to being a senior,” says Turner.

This will be the Fine Arts Department’s final production for the 2018-2019 school year.